How to Pack for a Short Business Trip - Carry On Only!
If your job requires you to constantly be traveling, on short flights, for only a few days at a time, you’re likely a little bit frustrated with packing and travel clothes. Encircled was created because our founder, Kristi, shared those same frustrations, and sought to make multi-wear pieces that improved the packing experience. Years later, we continue to make travel-friendly designs that are also appropriate for a variety of work related situations.
When packing for a short work trip, it can be tempting to bring more than you need, and have to check your suitcase as a result. The first step to reduce the amount of clothing that you are tempted to bring is to refine your packing process. We’ve outlined here are a couple of packing hacks that you can use to streamline your entire process, as well as a packing list, and suggested outfits from that list.
This article is based on a short 3 day, business trip that requires work attire, and evening attire. Dress requirements differ between industries and the type of business engagement you’re attending, so swap out pieces accordingly where appropriate.
- Determine what your work capsule wardrobe is. Once you have a good grasp on the type of garments that you like to wear to work, you’ll be able to pick you go-to outfits to take on your trip.
- Pick a colour palette for the trip. If all of your garments match, this will reduce the amount of clothes you have to pack to make outfits.
- Pack pants that are a dark and neutral colour - wear them with more tops!
- The weather in the fall is unpredictable. Make sure the pieces that you bring are versatile and can be layered up/down effectively.
- Always check the weather in advance of your trip. If the forecast calls for rain, you don’t want to be stuck without waterproof shoes.
- Pick clothes that are multi-wear, and easy to pack. This means fabrics that don’t wrinkle easily, and can be packed tightly. For tips specific clothing packing methods, check out our post on rolling vs. folding your clothes.
Note: depending on your personal style, and dress codes, the pencil skirt or black jeans can easily be swapped for black slacks.
TIP: Mix and match your daytime/nighttime outfits if you’re interested in switching up more than just one piece of your outfit for day-to-night, or if you’re maybe seeing the same people at all occasions.
We’ve included a suggested carry on packing list, available for download HERE. The items here are broader suggestions that you can substitute in/out your favourite products. One of the biggest hang-ups for packing a carry-on is the desire to bring too much stuff. Using a list will help you be able to identify exactly what it is that you need to bring so you don’t bring too much (or, forget anything!).
Need help reducing your toiletries? Check out our blog post on carry-on toiletries here.
All photos are copyright Encircled. Contact us for permissions/rights to re-use or repost images.
Feed your soul - Join the Everyday Adventure Collective
A community for women who embrace life in every moment, at home or abroad. Request access here to our private facebook group.